Generation Warfare



#6

During our visit to the open house, we managed to grab hold of officer L S Low from her open house duties. As we are curious about the life of a female navy officer and her duties, we decided to interview her:



How long have you been in the Navy?

I have been serving the Navy for 32 years.
    
Wow, that's almost twice our age! What is your role as a female navy officer?

I'm a technician and what I do is to maintain the conditions of the ships and vessels before they are ready to set sail. Technical support and maintenance are the major things I usually do. I'm also in charge of the minor duties like maintaining basic hygiene. Like for example, if there are shortage of toilet papers, we are the ones who will settle those.

So why Navy? 

I love being outdoors and many see me as an adventurous person. I wanted to pursue something that is challenging and risk- taking. My brother was reading the newspaper and came across the Navy advertisement. He was the one who recommended me to be part of the Navy Team. I have to thank him for recommending me to Navy and for supporting me. 
  
He sure is proud of you. Serving the Navy for 32 years is really amazing! You have your own family now and how do your family members feel about you when you work in the Navy? Are they against your job position? Are there times where you cannot spend time with the family due to duty calls?

Hahaha, my family members are not against my career choice at all and I am grateful to have them supporting me until today. Well, since I work on land and don't set sail, I am able to spend time with my family.

If one wants to join the Navy Team, do they have to know how to swim well? 

If you want to join the Navy Team, knowing how to swim well will give you the advantage. There are some officers who initially did not know the basics of swimming but with their burning passion of serving the Navy, they were willing to learn and they took the training seriously. So, it doesn't matter if you don't know how to swim. There are instructors who will teach you how to swim well. There are several job positions in the Navy that do not require you to know how to swim. There are admin jobs in the Navy.
   
Will one be able to be part of the Navy Team if the qualification of education he/she has no relations with the job position requirements in the Navy? For example we want to join the team but we are science students. Do we have the advantage?

For my case, I have a diploma in engineering. And with my qualification of education, I'm posted to do technical support and maintenance. Different job positions have different minimum education requirement.Well, if you are science students, who knew you would be our Navy's medical officer? Hahaha! 
 
As a female navy officer, what is navy life like? Do admin officers have to go through military training too?

We, female officers have to go through Basic Military Training regardless of whether one is posted to admin job. And we were treated just like the male officers. So everyone in the team receives the same treatment during our training days. I'm proud of myself for being able to endure the tough trainings back then and be what I am today. I strongly encourage women to step out of the norm and join the Navy! 



Due to duty calls, our interview ended with a thank you and she left to perform her duties. Officer low was undeniably proud of her fantastic career in the navy which left us in awe.


POSTED BY:

LINA
MB 1202



OLD | NEW